Family planning services can help address these and other public health challenges by providing education, counseling, and medical services.
Family planning services include the following:
- providing contraception to help women and men plan and space births, prevent unintended pregnancies, and reduce the number of abortions;
- offering pregnancy testing and counseling;
- helping clients who want to conceive;
- providing basic infertility services;
- providing preconception health services to improve infant and maternal outcomes and improve women's and men's health; and
- providing sexually transmitted disease (STD) screening and treatment services to prevent tubal infertility and improve the health of women, men, and infants.