What is Vivitrol?
VIVITROL is a prescription injectable medicine used to:
- treat alcohol dependence. You should stop drinking before starting VIVITROL.
- prevent relapse to opioid dependence, after opioid detoxification.
This means that if you take opioids or opioid-containing medicines, you must stop taking them before you start receiving VIVITROL. See “What is the most important information I should know about VIVITROL?”
To be effective, treatment with VIVITROL must be used with other alcohol or drug recovery programs such as counseling. VIVITROL may not work for everyone.
It is not known if VIVITROL is safe and effective in children.
How will I receive Vivitrol?
- VIVITROL is injected by a healthcare provider, about 1 time each month.
- VIVITROL must be injected by a healthcare provider. Do not attempt to inject yourself with VIVITROL. Serious reactions, some that may require hospitalization, might happen.
- VIVITROL is given as an injection into a muscle in your buttocks using a special needle that comes with VIVITROL.
- After VIVITROL is injected, it lasts for a month and it cannot be removed from the body.
- If you miss your appointment for your VIVITROL injection, schedule another appointment as soon as possible.
If you are thinking about talking to your doctor about VIVITROL, you may have questions. Click here to talk to and OHI healthcare provider about whether VIVITROL may be right for you.